Can there really be too much of a good thing? When it comes to necklaces, we don’t think so. Try layering them with our handy pairing guide, full of stylish pieces and tips for stacking chains. Remember to keep experimenting until you find what fits you.
Tips for necklace layering
- To stay neat and avoid messy knots, wear varying chain lengths. This chart from Who What Wear is a great resource for figuring out where necklaces hit. (The exception is chokers, since they’re tighter and sit higher, so they’ll be less likely to get tangled amongst each other.)
- Include your personal pieces as a base. Have a sentimental piece you wear every single day? Keep it on!
- Mix old and new. If you’ve got a necklace you haven’t worn in years but still love, give it a fresh look by pairing with a new item.
- Have the effect you want to achieve in mind. For example, if you want a minimal look, try pairing a barely there choker with a delicate pendant necklace. If you’re looking for something bolder, layer chunkier chains, and for a modern bohemian look, bring in the raw crystal and drop chain chokers.
- Never be afraid to experiment. Play with colors, designs, and textures to create a look that’s all your own. Really, anything goes!
5 perfect necklace pairings to get you started
Like a light, dainty look? You can still pull that off with multiple delicate pieces. Layer minimal stunners, but use the varying length tip to maintain simplicity.
Yes, the ’90s trend is back and hopefully here to stay. Thrown in a chunky choker for a bolder look or go totally delicate with more lightweight chokers.
The Lariat Look
Long lariat necklaces work best layered with shorter necklaces or chokers, and of course, low-cut tops, long flowy dresses, and swimsuits.
Once you’ve mastered matching necklaces of the same metal, mix it up to get to the next level! Have fun with rose gold, black, silver, and gold when you layer to create a versatile, eclectic look.
Maybe the popular pairing right now, pendant layering isn’t just for Instagram influencers. Pair two pendants of different lengths to get an effortless look that’s right on trend.
Still on the hunt for the perfect necklace pairing? Check out our selection of necklaces for layering from emerging designers all over the world.